The need to construct a water treatment plant at Pinesburg along the Potomac River was finalized in late 1925. The new plant was a joint effort between Hagerstown and Williamsport with lines extending to both municipalities. . Construction was to begin in January of 1926. But Williamsport's by June of 1926, Mayor Charles E. Bowman rejected all plans presented. Finally in March of 1927, a contract was awarded to the Northeastern Construction Company of Baltimore at a cost of $387,474.98 and within a year the project completed.
Water enters a huge pipe at the river bank and is pumped into one of the five-million gallon bays. In the bays, large sediments are allowed settle. From there the water is "washed" in one of ten sand-bed compartments inside the buildings before being pumped in lines to the towns.
In February of 1929, Hagerstown Mayor Ruben Musey happily reported that most of Hagerstown's citizens now had "good soft water" and much enhanced fire protection.