On February 13, 1922 three buildings at the corner of Conococheague and Salisbury Streets were completely destroyed by fire. The most memorable of the buildings destroyed was an apartment house owned by Clarence Gaylor formerly known as the Ripple Hotel, next door was a store owned by Harry Wissinger, and the brick residence of Blaine Buchanan.
Less than a year later on January 9, 1923 the school house on Church Street burned.
Opened in the mid-1920s, the fire of 1959 at Federal Silk Mill at the corner of Artizan and Frederick Streets fire left over 200 folks without employment.
Written in the mid-1950s, Mr. W. H. Miller recounted some of the most memorable fires of Williamsport.