By referendum vote in the fall of 1959, the voters of Williamsport decided to fund a community swimming pool. The construction bid was awarded to Norman S. Early & Son at a cost of just over $86,000.
The dedication ceremony for the Williamsport Memorial Swimming Pool was held Saturday, June 2, 1960. Several young ladies entered the contest to be voted the "Queen" of the pool. Miss Susie Downs of 121 S. Artrizan Street was the winner. It was estimated over 1000 people attended the ceremony where WHS Blue Band under director Harry Kight conducted. The Williamsport Boy Scout Troop and members of the American Legion #202 raised the American flag.
The pool was later renamed the L. Beard Miller Memorial Swimming Pool in honor of the former mayor who championed the cause for a town pool.